Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A day out of Focus!!

Today the water from the main pipe into my house will be turned off. Why? Because the plumber still could not find where the leak is coming from. So to make sure, he said, that it is from my house we have to turn off the water. Otherwise it could be from my neighbour’s house. So last night we bought 4 extra pails and a 30 gallon drum to fill water. One day with no water itself is terrible, imagine 3 days without water! Sigh!! Anyway exactly at 9.15 am today I turned off the water. Hmmm… that was easy, I thought. By 10:15am, there was no problems. I could catch up on chores that I have put off. I could call my sister and hang on the phone for awhile. And I could even give Sofi some mathematics to work on. At 12 noon, I walked over to the restaurant opposite my house to get Sofi lunch before sending her off to school. This is very easy... Now where shall I and Shak my eldest can have lunch. I took the car out and drove straight to a Mamak restaurant. We both ordered fried Beehoon ( no need to count calories today…heeheeeheee) and iced tea. I was still in the mood of self indulgence when suddenly there was a loud angry voice near me. A man was shouting and scolding the waiter for leaning against the table. How absurd, I hope he does not sit near us, I said to Shak. I think I spoke too soon. The man sat directly next to my table. Then turned his chair and faced exactly to me. I don’t know why but many times in my life even as a teenager I have come across this kind of people. I call them Mentally Out Of Focus (MOF). And I have told all my kids how I have been chased by one MOF when I was 15 years old. I ran for my life carrying my heavy school bag. Thank God I was near my father’s shop. I ran straight inside and hid from this MOF. Even today I still shudder when I think about it. Back to now, this MOF person was trying very hard to get my attention, that’s what they usually do. I on the other hand tried to signal to Shak to ignore him and to my dismay Shak was laughing or maybe controlling her laughter with a look saying she knows this is one of the MOF’s I usually talk about. I bend down low trying to ignore him. The MOF person trying his best to irritate me crossed his leg, then switched then crossed. Then to my horror he took out a lighter and started to burn the bottom of his trousers. By then I was shivering from the inside but sweating profusely from the outside. My day which started in a slow pace turned upside down. I was literally stuffing the Beehoon into my mouth. The Fried Mee that I ordered for my son MS soon came. Trying my best to sound calm, I asked Shak what the time was. Suddenly I heard the MOF person calling out….!! “ Sister..,sister…SISTER…..!!!!! What is the time ahh??
I shot out of my chair and literally ran to the cashier with Shak following me behind. I lingered and pretended to look for my wallet at the cashier. From the corner of my eyes I can still see the MOF person staring at me. Now I looked at my food bill as though it was the most important piece of paper in my life. To my relieve the MOF person got up and left the restaurant.. Sigh..!! I went straight into my car and drove back home. What a day I thought . And I still have another two days with no water. Maybe I’ll have Maggi tomorrow…....at home !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Buddy Award from Yasmeen

Buddy Award from Yasmeen

An Award from Yasmeen of Health nut

An Award from Yasmeen of Health nut