Saturday, June 21, 2008
Chicken Kurma Curry
This is simple but delicious curry which is milder in taste than the usual Chicken Curry. Chicken Kurma is mainly a south indian dishbut in here I have added Malaysian flovour to it. Do try this recepi which can be eaten with white rice, any type of breads, Chapatis, Dosa/Thosai or even on cooked noodles.
1 chicken cut into small pieces
2large onions diced
2 large tomatoes diced
3 baby potatoes/2 large potatoes halved
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of evaporated milk/coconut milk
1/2 cups ground cashew nut
1/2 cups of low fat yogurt
(B) (grind to a paste than mix with the chicken to marinate)
5 cm ginger
1 pod of garlic
5 tbsp of chicken Kurma powder
2 cm cinnamon
some fresh mint leaves chopped
some fresh coriander leaves chopped
3 pandan leaves knotted
1. Put some oil in a heavy bottomed pot and fry the onios till golden
2. Add (c) to this and fry till there is a nice aroma
3. Add tomatoes and fry for a short while
4. Now add (B). Mix the chicken well with all the spices. Let it cook for awhile, add alittle water if necessary. Wait until the oil separates.
5. Now pour the evaporated milk and add the cashew paste and yogurt. Mix well.
6. Finally add enough water, add salt to taste and bring the curry to a boil. Now put the fire on low and let the curry simmer for 40min.
7. Your curry should be ready now garnish with some mint leaves and Enjoy!!
For those who do not have Kurma powder,
here's a simple recipe to make your own. This is one portion please increase the portion if you need more.
3tbsp coriander powder
1tsp aniseed powder
1tsp white pepper
i/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder