Wednesday, August 13, 2008

To pressure or not to pressure



It had been a long time since I last cooked mutton. This is because when I was staying in Kuala Lumpur, I could not buy any local mutton. Mostly Australian lamb was available. This Australian lamb has very strong smell and does not taste very good with Indian or Arabic style of cooking. But last weekend my sister offered to buy me some local mutton from her regular butcher. I was of course delighted because I really do not know how to buy mutton, for example, which part is good for curry, or to make meatball on so on. So at 12 noon on Sunday morning my brother in law brought fresh mutton to my house. After deciding what to cook I realised I had one big problem."Where was my pressure cooker." I got my son MS to search for the pressure cooker. After all he wanted to eat mutton so much. After a while we found the pressure cooker but now the weight which controls the steam was missing. SIGH!! It was a Sunday and here I am looking high and low for the weight and I have not even started lunch yet. Finally hubby had an idea. You see, my hubby Ak who was the eldest in his family used to help his mom a lot when he was small.
( Another reason was because mom in law has no daughters). So with his vast experience and knowledge, he advised me to use the pressure cooker as normal. Wait for the steam to build then put a thick wet towel instead of the weight on the cover. So I obediently did what was told and to my surprise in less than 20 minutes the mutton was cooked to a nice tender and juicy texture and my house was filled with the aromatic smell of cardamons ginger and all the spices which was in side the pressure cooker. After whipping up a simple vegetable dish we all sat down for one of the most delicious and satisfying home made lunch. So if you have pressure cooker at home and you have lost the weight like I did. Don't despair, just put a wet towel and you will be surprised of the result. HAppy cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Buddy Award from Yasmeen

Buddy Award from Yasmeen

An Award from Yasmeen of Health nut

An Award from Yasmeen of Health nut